Google Pixel 9 and the 2024 Pixel Phone Lineup: What to Expect
Google Pixel 9 Launch in 2024: The Google Pixel smartphone line has earned a reputation for excellent cameras, fast software updates, and a clean Android experience. With the launch of the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro in late 2022, attention now turns to what Google has in store for 2024 and the expected Pixel 9 series.
Rumors are already swirling about the Pixel 9, including potential design changes, upgraded camera hardware, faster performance with the next-gen Tensor chip, and other new features.
Beyond the flagship Pixel 9, there are several other Pixel devices that could launch alongside it in the fall 2024 event “Made by Google 2024,” including:
- Google Pixel 8a – The budget-friendly Pixel A series
- Google Pixel Watch 3 – Second generation smartwatch
- Pixel Tablet 2 and Pixel Fold 2 – Possible upgraded tablet and foldable
This comprehensive guide will break down everything we know so far about the Google Pixel 9 launch, details on the rumored Pixel 9 and Pixel 9 Pro flagship phones, info on other upcoming Pixel devices, and more predictions for Google’s 2024 phone lineup.
Google Pixel 9 Expected Release Date
Based on previous launches, we expect the Google Pixel 9 unveiling sometime in early-to-mid October 2024, likely followed by retail availability 1-2 weeks later.
Google has consistently released new Pixel flagship phones in October ever since the first Google Pixel in 2016, landing in the final quarter of the year and ahead of the busy holiday shopping season.
If Google maintains a similar 12 month release cycle to the Pixel 7 series, an October 2024 timeframe for the Pixel 9 and 9 Pro introduction with pre-order and launch shortly after aligns with past timing.
Some key Pixel launch dates include:
- Pixel 7 & 7 Pro: Announced October 6th, 2022. Released October 13th, 2022.
- Pixel 6 & 6 Pro: Announced October 19th, 2021. Released October 28th, 2021.
- Pixel 5: Announced September 30th, 2020. Released October 15th, 2020.
- Pixel 4: Announced October 15th, 2019. Released October 24th, 2019.
While an exact Pixel 9 unveiling date is unknown, expect a rollout in October 2024 following the typical Pixel phone launch timeline.
Google Pixel 9: Specs and Features
As Google’s next-generation 2024 flagship smartphone, the Pixel 9 is expected to be upgraded across the board in terms of design, display quality, performance, camera hardware, battery life, and other new features.
While the Pixel 9 likely won’t see a radical redesign compared to the Pixel 7, improvements in key areas like the camera, power efficiency, durability, and style will make it a compelling upgrade for those with older Pixel devices.
Design and Display: Google Pixel 9 Launch in 2024
The Google Pixel 9 and Pixel 9 Pro are expected to retain a similar overall design identity to the Pixel 7 series with an aluminum metal frame and horizontal camera bar on the back.
However, renders suggest tweaks like more rounded corners on the chassis, thicker volume and power buttons, new colors, and potentially a rear glass back on the Pixel 9 for wireless charging support.
In terms of display size, the Pixel 9 is rumored to have a 6.3 inch FHD+ AMOLED screen at 1080 x 2400 resolution with a 90Hz or 120Hz refresh rate. The Pro model may get bumped up to a 6.7-6.8 inch QHD+ display at 1440p resolution and 120Hz.
Color accuracy, brightness, and HDR capabilities could also see improvements to make the Pixel 9 lineup more competitive with phones like the iPhone 15 and Galaxy S23 next year.
One of the main highlights expected on the Pixel 9 and 9 Pro are upgrades to the camera system, building on the already excellent photography capabilities of previous Pixel phones.
The Pixel 9 Pro may add a periscope style telephoto lens with 5x optical zoom, which has been a highly requested feature missing from past Pixels.
Both the Pixel 9 and 9 Pro should also incorporate a new, unannounced image sensor along with Google’s latest algorithms, AI processing, and Pixel-exclusive photography modes. Night photography, HDR scenes, and portrait lighting are some areas that may see enhancements.
We could also see bumps in megapixels and aperture size to further develop the Pixel’s strengths in computational photography, helping it keep pace with or even surpass the latest iPhones expected to launch a month earlier.
Performance and Battery Life
The Pixel 9 series will introduce Google’s next generation Tensor G3 processor built on a 4nm manufacturing process, which should bring faster CPU and GPU speeds compared to the Tensor G2 in the Pixel 7.
Combined with the latest LPDDR5X RAM and UFS 4.0 storage, we can expect snappy performance whether gaming, multitasking, editing photos/video, or using AR applications. The upgraded chip is also likely to provide better power efficiency.
In terms of battery size, leaks point to a 5,000 mAh capacity on the Pixel 9, which would be a sizable bump up from the 4,355 mAh battery in the base Pixel 7. Fast charging up to at least 30W wired charging speed is probable.
While final specs could change leading up to launch, early indications suggest the Pixel 9 lineup will see healthy performance and battery life gains over their predecessors.
The Pixel 9 series is guaranteed to launch with the newest Android 15 OS and has typically been one of the first devices to get the latest Android versions and security updates.
New Google Assistant capabilities, AI and machine learning enhancements, and Pixel-exclusive software photography tools are also highly likely.
Android 15 and whatever Google builds on top of it could allow deeper smart home device integration, more contextual information and proactive help from Assistant, and greater privacy/security safeguards.
Google Pixel 9 vs. iPhone 15 & Galaxy S23
As flagship phones launching in 2024, Google’s Pixel 9 series will inevitably draw comparisons to Apple’s iPhone 15 lineup and Samsung’s upcoming Galaxy S23 – both also probably arriving in September/October 2024.
The iPhone 15 Pro models are rumored to introduce new 3nm processors offering market-leading performance, improved battery life, an always-on display mode, USB-C charging, and camera upgrades like a periscope zoom lens.
Meanwhile, the Galaxy S23, S23 Plus, and S23 Ultra will probably get the latest Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 chip (or Exynos internationally), major 200MP camera sensor at least on the Ultra model along with 10x optical zoom, Wi-Fi 7 compatibility, satellite connectivity for emergencies, and other Samsung-exclusive capabilities layered over Android.
Competition at the high end of the smartphone market figures to be fierce in 2024. While the Pixel 9 may not match every hardware spec, Google’s advantage could come from its AI smarts, as seen with standout features like Magic Eraser object removal in photos.
With Google designing its own Tensor chips and software tailored specifically to Pixel hardware, they can eke out performance optimizations and experience benefits challenging for even Apple and Samsung to replicate across Android.
If priced right, clean software and an excellent camera system could make the Pixel 9 a tempting alternative to those deep in the iOS or Samsung ecosystems wanting change. But the Pixel 9 needs to push forward in design, display quality, battery life, and raw power while retaining ease of use to thrive as a mainstream flagship option.
Google Pixel 8a: What to Expect
As Google’s affordable Pixel A series phone, the Pixel 8a will arrive in 2024 as a cheaper yet still highly capable alternative to the Pixel 9 and 9 Pro for budget-conscious buyers.
The Pixel 8a should retain a similar plastic design and build quality to past Pixel A models but upgrade core specs like the processor, RAM count, cameras, battery size, and charging speeds while keeping the price low.
Here are some of the rumored and expected Pixel 8a features:
- Launch timeline around July/August 2024
- Tensor G2 or Tensor G3 chip
- FHD+ 60-90Hz OLED display, 6.2 inches
- 6GB or 8GB RAM
- 128/256GB storage
- Dual rear cameras: Wide + Ultrawide lens
- In-display fingerprint reader
- 4670 mAh battery
- 30W fast charging support
- Headphone jack
- $399/£399/€499 launch pricing
As you can see, the Pixel 8a may not have cutting edge specs but should deliver very solid performance for everyday use at an affordable price. The stellar camera quality and fast Google software updates make it enticing for budget buyers.
Google Pixel Watch 3 Rumors
The original Google Pixel Watch debuted alongside the Pixel 7 in October 2022 as Google’s first smartwatch, featuring Fitbit integration for health/fitness tracking. A Pixel Watch 3 will likely land in fall 2024 with improvements.
Potential Pixel Watch 3 upgrades and new features include:
- Slimmer bezels for more display real estate
- Longer battery life – rumored 36+ hour rating
- Addition of Google Assistant with speech input
- More durable design and scratch resistance
- New sensors like body temperature measurement
- More silicone and leather band options
- Launch colors like Matte Black, Obsidian, Hazel, and Chalk
With deeper integration between health metrics from Fitbit and Google’s software capabilities, the Pixel Watch 3 could evolve into a more versatile smartwatch and pave the way for a true Apple Watch competitor.
Will We See a Pixel Tablet 2 or Pixel Fold 2?
Beyond phones and watches, there are some signs Google plans to expand its Pixel portfolio in 2024/25 with a next-gen tablet and foldable phone.
Pixel Tablet 2
Back in 2022, Google teased an upcoming Pixel Tablet – likely dubbed the Pixel Tablet 2 since the original Pixel Slate launched in 2018.
Rumors suggest the Pixel Tablet 2 could have a 10-12 inch display with stereo speakers, wireless charging capabilities, Tensor G2 chip or better, camera for video calling, and deep integration as a home hub device accessing your smart home gear via Google Assistant.
Pricing speculation puts the Pixel Tablet 2 around $599 – landing somewhere between an iPad Air and iPad Pro rival.
Pixel Fold 2
While they were no shows at Google’s 2022 fall event, reports indicate prototypes exist for a Pixel Fold 2 – a follow up to the troubled Pixel Fold cancelation.
If 2024 is the year Google finally enters the foldable phone space to compete with Samsung’s Galaxy Z Fold/Flip series, the Pixel Fold 2 could have:
- 7.6 inch inner foldable display at 120Hz
- Cover display with 1080p resolution
- Tensor G2 processor or better
- 12GB RAM and 512GB storage configuration
- Triple camera setup – telephoto + wide + ultrawide
- Under display selfie camera on inner screen
- Battery size over 4400 mAh
A 2024 launch would position the Pixel Fold 2 against the Galaxy Z Fold 5, which is sure to further refine the form factor and functionality.
We’ll have to wait and see if Google decides to take another crack at releasing its own unique foldable phone.
More Google Devices Potentially Launching in 2024
Along with the expected Pixel 9 flagship phone series, Google has a full slate of Pixel devices rumored or likely to debut through 2024:
- Spring 2024
- Google Pixel 8a – Budget-friendly A series phone
- Fall 2024 October Event
- Google Pixel 9 & 9 Pro – Flagship smartphone
- Google Pixel Watch 3 – Second generation smartwatch
- Potentially teased: Pixel Tablet 2, Pixel Fold 2
- Unannounced 2024 Products
- Pixel Buds Pro 2 – Next wireless earbuds
- New Nest smart home devices
- Pixel-branded laptops/Chromebooks
Googlehardware has rapidly expanded beyond just Pixel phones in the last two years. We expect even more integrations between Android devices, Wear OS, and Google’s smart home gadgets in areas like health tracking, AI capabilities, automation features and more in 2024.
Frequently Asked Questions
When will the Google Pixel 9 launch?
- If following previous release timelines, the Pixel 9 announcement will likely happen sometime in October 2024, followed shortly after by retail availability in select countries.
How much will the Pixel 9 series cost?
- Specific pricing is unconfirmed, but we expect the Pixel 9 to start between $749 to $799 and the Pixel 9 Pro around $100-200 higher. Regional prices will vary.
Will the Pixel 9 camera be better than the Pixel 7?
- Yes, rumors strongly suggest Google will upgrade the Pixel 9 camera hardware with a new main sensor, additional telephoto zoom lens on the Pro, and improved photography software. Expect it to rival or beat the latest iPhones.
What processor will the Pixel 9 use?
- Google’s next generation Tensor G3 chip manufactured using an enhanced 4nm fabrication process for faster speeds and greater efficiency while enabling advanced features.
Will the Pixel 9 work with Android 15?
- Yes, the Pixel 9 and 9 Pro will launch running Android 15 OS out of the box and serve as Google’s developer handsets to showcase the newest software capabilities.
Could there be a Pixel 9 Ultra model?
- While not confirmed, there is a small chance Google breaks from tradition and releases a third Ultra variant alongside the Pixel 9 and 9 Pro to better compete with premium rivals.
That sums up the most credible details available so far on the upcoming Google Pixel 9 launch window, rumored specs and features, plus possibilities of other Pixel phones, watches, and devices potentially releasing through 2024.
As always, Google likes keeping secrets on its unannounced products. But based on their hardware and software ambitions, 2024 is shaping up to be a pivotal year for the Pixel ecosystem.